Historical Walk 2

Historical Walks (Reference Map)

This guide is both a short walking tour - Historical Walk 1 (1-34) or a long walking tour - Historical Walk 2 (1-54), each starting at the same place and using the same map.

*Walk 2 takes up the tour at the intersection of Sturt Street and Davenport Street.

Historical Walk 2

  1. From Sturt Street observe "The School in Rotten Row" and the former Bible Christian Chapel ...
  2. high on the hill, then proceed straight ahead from Sturt Street into George Street.
  3. At the intersection of George Street and Elizabeth Street are another two early cottages,..
  4. with two more to be seen on turning right into Elizabeth Street (37-38). ...
  5. was once occupied by one of Robe's identities, the Irishman Patsy Ryan.
  6. Another village character, vividly described by local historians Alex Barrowman and Kathleen Bermingham, was "Blind Barlow", who dwelt in the cottage ...
  7. at the corner of Union Street and Syleham Street (after turning left from Elizabeth Street). Barlow was a "Good Templar", a poet, an excellent basket weaver and a cheerful, kindly remembered man.
  8. Keep going straight ahead along what is now Syleham Street (named after the original private subdivision). At Robe Street you can see another of Robe's early cottages on yet another sand hill. This is probably the house described by Bermingham as once belonging to "Old Man Wilson", an English gentleman and a black sheep of the family who was paid a retainer but lived here with his wife in colonial obscurity.
  9. Turn left at this corner and walk towards the house known as "The Lodge" (41) , which stands at a corner of Victoria Street. Turn left again, into Victoria Street. This was once a meandering bullock track into the port, but when three private subdivisions were attached to this side of Robe Town during the mid to late 1850s, shops and houses were soon erected here and the road was fixed in its present route and eventually replaced Smillie Street as Robe's main thoroughfare.
  10. On this stage of the street you will pass Bermingham's Cottage (42), built after 1858 on an allotment of the new "Village of Syleham", then the suitably well-constructed home ...
  11. of the stone-mason and building contractor, William Savage. Cross the road to a third cottage ..
  12. of that same era, then turn right into Union Street (which was the union of Syleham and the village of Honeyton).
  13. Pass the houses and ...
  14. to the Robe Primary School...
  15. which was constructed for the Government in 1885, ten years after the passing of South Australia's first Education act which formally established the public education system. The house... opposite the school illustrates the piecemeal growth which was characteristic of many colonial residences.
  16. Return to Victoria Street and turn right past another cottage (48) distinguished by a parapet above the verandah of later date. ....
  17. Attic House (49) was built in 1869 by W.T. McLean as a tailor's shop, with a highly distinctive upper storey. On the same side of Victoria Street, past the cottage ....
  18. is another shop and attached house (51) of similar date.
  19. Diagonally across Victoria Street stands Wilson's Saddlery ...
  20. where William Wilson produced first-class saddles which were much-prized by the horsemen of the district, including Adam Lindsay Gordon. At the corner of Victoria Street and Davenport Street is the former English, Scottish and Australian Bank (53). ..
  21. After Robe's decline and the general bank crash in the 1890s, the construction of this English, Scottish and Australian branch in 1917 was a sign of returning prosperity.
  22. The last building visited on this long walk stands prominently on the opposite corner on the boundary of the private subdivision of Honeyton and the official town of Robe. Peter McQueen opened "The Caledonian Inn" (54) in 1859.

HAVE A NICE DAY.